No More Homeless Pets National Conference
(October 21-23, 2011)
The No More Homeless Pets National Conference, sponsored by Best Friends Animal Society, was at the Rio
All-Suite Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas on October 21-23, 2011. Several SBRET volunteers attended the
event at their own expense. This was the second time SBRET attended this conference. The theme of the conference
is that ending killing healthy dogs and cats is a real possibility if we all work together and toward
that same goal. Leaders in the No Kill field and many other animal professionals lead workshops
throughout an intense 3 days. We always come home with new ideas, inspiration, motivation, and a
sense of belonging to a group of caring, intelligent people who have made and are making such a
profound difference in the lives of dogs and cats throughout the country. In addition to the great
presentations, there were also scheduled times just for meeting fellow attendees to make valuable
rescue contacts. After the conference, a few of our volunteers spent some time at the Best Friends
Sanctuary where they provide and care for hundreds of displaced animals while actively getting them
ready for a new home--they take on some of the toughest cases in the country--so the trainers and
handlers at Best Friends are a wonderful resource. We hope to use these experiences to continue to
improve our efforts of rescue, rehabilitation, and education in the East TN area. We are looking forward
to 2012 with a renewed sense of enthusiasm and determination to make life better for our companion animals.
Below are a few of the inspirational quotes displayed at the convention.
- If you can dream it, you can do it.
- Walt Disney
- Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
- Nido Qubein
- Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful...that's what matters to me.
- Steve Jobs
- Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
- Thomas Jefferson
- The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
- Harriet Tubman
- You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
- Mark Twain
- The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one.
- Elbert Hubbard